DIY Frida Kahlo Kids Costume plus DIY Silk Flower Crown with Smarties Candy Company
Halloween is favorite holiday around our home and this year, I have partnered with Smarties Candy Company to turn the scariest time of year into the smartest! Smarties Candy Company is launching a “Smarties Throughout History” campaign to honor the famous brainiacs through our time! I think it’s such an awesome opportunity to allow our kids the chance to connect with an iconic historical figure. I am helping make this process easy by providing a simple step-by-step guide for a Kid’s Frida Kahlo Costume with DIY flower crown! The best part, it’s just as easy to make a companion costume for fur babies or mommy and daddy!
Kai is 20 months old and a ball of fire. She is very expressive and often dramatic. She loves to color and is drawn to flowers just like mom. When I thought of a vibrant female icon, Frida Kahlo's colorful expressive nature immediately came to mind! I chose Frida because of her sense for wonder and bold, female sprite. Kai is a firecracker and I thought Frida's expressive spirit is a perfect fit. Frida's imaginative, colorful and symbolic legacy sure makes her an iconic female Smartie!
Smarties are a must have in our family for Halloween! They are totally worry free, as in gluten, nuts and allergy free. I also love that Smarties are only 25 calories per roll which makes for a guilt free indulgence. On top of it all, Smarties truly gives us that nostalgic feeling. These are the reasons why Smarties as a smart choice in candy for the Halloween season!
Kid’s DIY Frida Costume with Silk Flower Crown
- Embroidered dress (white or colorful ethnic prints)
- Colorful scarf
- Silver, embellished necklaces
- Flower crown ( 4-5 stems of colorful silk flower, floral wire )
- Eye brow powerder
Optional for puppy matching:
- Black marker
- Washi tape
Step 1 - DIY Silk Flower Crown:
- Trim floral wire to fit the head. Double over to strengthen and complete the crown frame
- Pull off the heads of silk flowers and thread a stem wire through the bottom of the flower head. Wrap the wire around the center of the bud a few times before threading it out through the same hole on the bottom. Twist the wires together to finish off each stem.
- Repeat stemming each flower
- Attach stemmed flower to the crown frame by twisting the wires on to the crown.
- Repeat alternating flower sizes and varieties
- Twist close the ends of the crown frame or attach ribbon to make it adjustable.
Step 2 - Hair and Brows:
- Part hair in the center, use water to smooth down the part
- Fill in eye brows to make a prominent signature unibrow. I used a brow powder to give off a more natural look
- Optional doggie unibrow - draw with black marker on printer paper. Use scissors to trim out and attach to fur with washi tape
Step 3 - Get Dressed & Accessorize!
- Put on the dress
- Layer necklaces, I used 2 to give more texture
- Drape scarf over the shoulder and knot in the center a couple of times
- Center flower crown over the part and voila!